The ASEAN+3 Macroeconomic Research Office (AMRO) has a vacancy in the Financial Surveillance Group for Associate Economist / Economist.
The successful candidate will be assigned to the Financial Surveillance Group and report to the Group Head. The candidate should have a good understanding of macroeconomics and financial stability issues and be knowledgeable about ASEAN+3 economies. Strong communication and coordination skills are also essential.
- Supporting the monitoring and analysis of financial market developments and financial stability issues in major advanced economies and ASEAN+3 economies.
- Preparing/Contributing to the ASEAN+3 Financial Stability Report (AFSR).
- Contributing to AMRO’s financial surveillance of member economies/region by participating in country missions, drafting reports, and capacity-building activities as assigned by supervisors.
- Supporting multi- and bilateral research activities by gathering and compiling data, undertaking econometrics and other modelling work, and writing reports as assigned by supervisors.
- Contributing to developing macro-financial frameworks as well as establishing and maintaining databases of major advanced and ASEAN+3 economies.
- Providing logistical and administrative support to AMRO’s country consultation visits as assigned by supervisors.
- Maintaining good relationship with the authorities and liaising with authorities on relevant surveillance matters between AMRO and the member economies under the guidance of the Group Head.
- Assisting the Group Head in the planning and implementation of the group’s work plan in support of AMRO’s overall goals, ensuring efficiency, relevance and impact of AMRO’s surveillance work.
- Participate in any institution-wide activity, such as AMRO’s internal committees or task forces, as assigned.
- Lead and conduct training/seminars/workshops to disseminate knowledge to AMRO staff and external stakeholders.
- Perform any other duty as may be reasonably required in furtherance of AMRO’s overall goals.
The candidate should possess:
- A PhD or Master’s degree in economics, or related fields, from a reputable university.
- Relevant work experience and knowledge in economics and/or finance, including macro-financial modelling and policy.
- For Associate Economist, 3 to 5 years (for Master’s Degree holders) or 1 to 2 years (for Ph.D. candidates) of experience is usually required.
- For Economist, at least 5 years of experience is usually required.
- Experience with Financial Stability Flagship Reports of central banks or IOs such as GFSR or AFSR will be strongly preferred.
- High level of familiarity with ASEAN+3 economies and policies; experience in macroeconomic and financial surveillance, and empirical research would be a significant advantage.
- Strong analytical ability and capacity to conduct rigorous research. Prior experience with research on ASEAN+3 property markets, green financing, NBFIs, household/corporate vulnerabilities, as well as any topics relevant for future AFSR themes will be a significant advantage.
- Proven experience with Big Data/Data Science/NLP as well as strong familiarity with key third-party economics and finance databases, such as Bloomberg, CEIC, Haver Analytics, Refinitiv (Datastream), would be an advantage.
- Proficiency in software applications such as Microsoft Office and high proficiency in the application of econometric packages, such as EViews, MATLAB, Stata; proficiency in programming languages such as Python and R would be beneficial.
- Strong motivation and initiative, and results-oriented, and accountable for the accuracy of both data and information.
- Strong teamwork, communication, and presentation skills to interact effectively with staff and officials of diverse cultural backgrounds at all levels.
- High proficiency in written and spoken English; (proficiency in local languages would be an advantage).
Applicants should submit the following to complete the job application.
- An updated CV.
- A brief description of all relevant academic qualifications and work experience.
- The earliest possible start date.
- Referee details.
The last day to apply to this position is February 26, 2024.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted via email.